A permit is required for most construction and/or repair projects, including electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work. Permits are necessary for, but not limited to, residential and business additions, alterations, patios, decks, window replacements, garden and retaining walls, swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, air conditioners (adding or replacing), and all electrical and plumbing installations, water heaters, and gas lines.
Over the Counter Permits
An inspector is available at City Hall to review permits and answer questions every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9:00 am to 10:00 am. You may also call (415) 927-5110 during his counter hour to ask questions over the phone. Permits such as minor kitchen and bath remodels and solar installations can be issued during this time. Jobs requiring plan review or with structural changes cannot be issued over the counter. For other minor permits such as re-roofs, electrical upgrades, and water heater installation building staff is available to issue these types of permits Monday through Thursday 9 am to noon and 1 to 5 pm.
Work Exempt from Permit
- One-story detached accessory buildings used as tool / storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the footprint area does not exceed 120 square feet and no utilities are added**.
- Fences not over six feet in height**.
- Painting, papering, and similar finish work.
**Contact the Planning Department at (415) 927-5038 or
for setback requirements and/or other restrictions.
Applicable Construction Codes
• 2010 California Building Code
• 2010 California Plumbing Code
• 2010 California Mechanical Code
• 2010 California Electrical Code
• 2010 California Energy Code
• 2010 California Residential Code
• 2010 California Green Building Standards Code